April 11, 2011 by AnnMarie
It’s that time again! Happy Monday, Bunnies.
Joya has another recipes for us, but first, here’s one I’ve been making regularly for a couple weeks. It sounds gross but is delicious!
- In a blender, add your favorite fruits. I recommend banana or papaya as a really great base and frozen berries or mango to chill things out. I also add dried cranberries for a flavor boost.
- Then pour in almond, soy or regular milk (whatever kind you like). You’ll find out as soon as you start blending how much or how little to add to get things liquified.
- Add a tablespoon of flax seed. I grind them in a mortar first. Flax helps your body absorb all the nutrition in this smoothie. You can also add nutmeg and/or cinnamon to help open up those blood vessels prior to a workout.
- Add a handful of spinach leaves and a few leaves of kale or chard (I have chard in the garden that’s handy!). Don’t skip this step! You won’t taste the greens, I promise.
- Add your favorite protein powder and blend.
If you find the mix isn’t fruity enough, add a splash of lemon juice or another fruit juice, or simply skip the milk and add a 100% fruit juice. I drink this either in the morning or right after a workout. Yum!
Joya’s Self-Proclaimed Untested Roasted Veggies & Brown Rice Recipe:
Roasted beets and carrots
feta cheese (crumbled)/goat cheese (crumbled)
preheat oven to 350
lightly toss with olive oil, salt and pepper
put in flat layer on baking sheet
roast at 350 for an hour or so until tender
peel the beets after they cool.
while the beets and carrots are roasting,
shred the beet greens and wash carefully
heat olive oil in a saute pan
heat garlic and onions in pan
cook spinach and greens until wilted
season with S+P+ Nutmeg to taste
combine all vegetables and add goat cheese or feta cheese to taste and serve over brown rice
I just made it up so we’ll see how this works.
Thanks Joya! Three more points for you 🙂